Friday, September 9, 2011

Book Review: Excelsior by George H. Sirois


I knew I would love Excelsior for two reasons. The first is the title. The Latin phrase 'excelsior' simply means “even higher.” Onward and upward. If you happen to be a comic book nerd, you know that this is also Stan Lee’s infamous catchphrase: used at the end of every “Bullpen Bulletins,” Mavel column. =)

The second reason I knew I would enjoy this title is that it starts with, to my great delight, a quote from Optimus Prime which I’ll share now:

“…one day, an Autobot shall rise from our ranks, and use the power of the Matrix to light our darkest hour.”

Mmmm, that is classic nerd poetry.

Now for a very brief, Natasha-like synopsis.

Excelsior tells the story of Matthew Peters, an instantly likeable high school kid that reminds me of so many boys I knew in high school. You know, the ones that never got laid. Peters is easily relatable to the reader, and likable.

Our protagonist spends most of his time drawing…and, to my delight, working on his comic book. His most impressive achievement to date is his website, chronicling a cast of characters that inhabit the distant planet of Denab IV.

The story grips you, and then… Peters goes from fan boy with a dream, to warrior. Oh, did I mention he has to save a planet now?

This story grips you from the beginning and does not let go.  I was blown away with the author’s ability to build worlds, and quite frankly, this is science fiction at its best. 

I am excited that Sirois has agreed to do a giveaway on this blog, because this is a must read for all fans of comic book based fiction.

Five stars… only because there isn’t a site in existence that allows you to rate higher.



No comments: