Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Welcome Guest Blogger: Author Krystal McLaughlin

I met Krystal McLaughlin, a very talented writer, a few months ago on Book Blogs. I read, loved and reviewed her novel Witch's Lottery and invited her to guest blog about her newest release: A Dragon Forsaken.  Enjoy!


I am really excited to be doing this guest blog today, because it is giving me the opportunity to introduce you all to the magical world I've created. The Enchanted Island Series is about friendship and family, love and sacrifice. It's about inner strength and finding out who you are in a world full of mystery, secrets, and magic. Each book in the series is unique, each one coming from a different character's perspective. In The Witches Lottery, you follow Sophia on a journey of awakening and self discovery as she figures out where she fits in to the new world she has been thrown into. In A Dragon Forsaken, Daphne's journey is a little darker, filled with a little more action and adventure as you journey with her to search through a tangled web of secrets and lies, where she is ultimately faced with a decision that could change her life forever.

I got the idea for the series because I liked the concept of a 'lottery of magical abilities.' In a world that is only slightly different than the one we live in, it's intriguing for me to have such a wide variety of powers that work to enhance the characters in ways that aren't always expected. Until you 'awaken', not only do you not know about the magical world's existence, you also have no idea what ability will manifest inside of you.


Today, I'd like to share with you an excerpt of A Dragon Forsaken. I hope that you enjoy it and are just as intrigued by Daphne as I was.


I could hear my prey running. His footsteps splashed through the puddles as he ran as fast as he could from my pursuit. With my heightened senses, I could even hear the rapid beating of his heart from his exertion. As for me, I could have been a shadow, a ghost; I was that silent and when I saw him stop ahead of me on the darkened street to catch a breath, I knew I was that fast too.

There was no one else around. Typical of the type of neighborhood I had hunted him through. No matter who you thought your friends were, when you lived your life in the slums of society, people tended to leave you behind when their lives were in jeopardy, even if it cost you yours. Plus this was the type of place where people tended to look the other way instead of inviting trouble on themselves.

I watched him spin around in circles trying to locate me, but I was hidden, completely invisible as the night swallowed me up. I smiled when he straightened and a smirk appeared on his face. He thought he had lost me. How naive of him. How human.



The man before me closed his eyes and began to cry. Massive sobs wracked his body as he held up his arms trying to protect himself. "Please," he cried. "I don't want to die."

Die? I thought and then laughed cruelly. There was a time when I would have chosen that. I wasn't convinced it wouldn't come again, but for now, I had Sophia's conscience keeping my temper in check and the stink of death would not cloud the night tonight. At least not by me.

When the first lick of fire spilled from my lips, though, I thought, Doesn't mean I can't scare him. His screams echoed through the streets while I showed him what a dragon could do.


The Witches Lottery and A Dragon Forsaken are both available through Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Smashwords. For more information on the series or any other upcoming releases, please visit http://krystalmclaughlin.blogspot.com

No comments: